Chinese New Year Recipe – Cape Grim Bavette with Broccolini & Oyster Sauce
This recipe is perfect for Chinese New Year. When sliced against the grain, bavette or skirt are some of the best beef cuts for wok-frying. In this recipe, the delicious Cape Grim beef paired with oyster sauce is a great combination. At $2.88 per serve, this recipe is affordable, quick and very tasty! Invite your friends or family over and celebrate Chinese New Year, which takes place on the 5th of February 2019.
This recipe is brought to you via Cape Grim Beef.
- 500g bavette or skirt beef, thinly sliced against the grain
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 large bunch broccolini, cut on an angle into 5cm lengths
- 3 slices ginger, bruised
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 4 thick spring onions, cut into 5cm lengths
- ¼ cup oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp cornflour mixed with 1 tbsp cold water
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp cornflour
- Pinch of white pepper
- Combine the beef with the meat marinade ingredients and marinate for at least 10 minutes.
- Heat a cup of water in the wok until boiling, add a dash of oil and blanch the broccolini until bright green and slightly softened (approx. 1 minute). Drain and set aside until ready to cook.
- Drain water from the wok and dry the wok over the flame. Add two tablespoons of oil, then add ginger, then garlic, then the spring onion and fry until it is softened. Scoop the onion, ginger and garlic out of the oil and add to the broccolini.
- Using the flavoured oil left in the wok, fry the beef in batches until browned. Return all ingredients to the wok and toss. Add the oyster sauce, soy sauce, water and sugar, toss to coat.
- Slowly drizzle the cornflour mixture into the wok while tossing. Immediately remove to a plate, rest for 2 minutes or so, and serve.